Own a cup? Have a Microwave? Does your house have an Oven? Good. Here are the 10 best and easy mug recipes to spice up your meals during COVID-19. No basic recipes on this list. If you’re a true blue foodie Singaporean, it’s time to up the ante.
1. How Sweet Eats’ SMORES MUG CAKE
|INGREDIENTS: (serves 1)|
|GRAHAM CRACKER BASE|
– 2-3 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
– 1/2 tablespoos unsalted butter, melted
– ¼ cup of chopped/cut up milk chocolate and a handful for topping
– 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
– Marshmallows for topping
– 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
– 1 large egg
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1/4 cup top flour
– 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
– pinch of salt
GRAHAM CRACKER BASE (YOU CAN SKIP THIS IF YOU DON’T WANT THE COOKIE BASE)
- Combine melted butter with graham cracker crumbs and stir until moistened.
- Press graham crumb mixture into the bottom of your mug.
- Combine 3 tablespoons butter and chopped chocolate in a small bowl, then melt in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
- In a bowl. whisk egg, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Add in flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa, stir until a thick batter forms.
- Stream in the melted butter and chocolate, mixing to combine.
- Fold in remaining chocolate chips.
- Add half of the cake batter on top of the graham crust, then throw on a scoop of marshmallow fluff/cream or a few marshmallows.
- Add remaining batter on top, then pop in the microwave for 1min~1:20min (depending on your microwave power setting) until the cake batter has cooked
- Remove and top with additional marshmallow if desired.
- You can pop it back in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to make them melty
- OR Pop them directly under the bread oven for 30 sec/air fryer for about 1 minute at 180°C to toast the marshmallow for that full smores effect.
- OR You can also use a kitchen torch if you’re a hardcore chef.
- Sprinkle with graham crumbs and serve!
Check this recipe out by How Sweet Eats.
2. The best way to start your day is with breakfast. Enjoy Leslie Bilderback’s HUEVOS RANCHEROS IN A MUG
- Easy to find ingredients
- Uses up leftovers
If you’re gearing for a Mexican breakfast, a hearty Huevos Racheros might do you well. Huevos Rancheros is Mexican breakfast dish consisting of eggs and seasonal ingredients from rural farms. If you don’t have any of ingredients, feel free to substitute with what’s available in your kitchen. Feel free to even add yesterday’s leftover meats!
Check out the original recipe here.
3. Save last week’s hard bread with BudgetBites’ 5-Minute Microwave French Toast in a Mug
- Easy to find ingredients
- Appeals to Sweet-Tooths
- Everyone has leftover stale bread or sweet pastries
Some would call this French Toast; some would call this Bread Pudding. To-may-to, To-mah-to
Whatever the name is, it’s delicious and mind-bogglingly simple.
Find the original recipe here for more inspiration.
4. Not a fan of soft mug pizzas? Try TASTE OF HOME’s Easy Pizza Dip in a Mug
- It’s pizza
- Great with chips
This recipe is another version of easy microwavable pizza-inspired recipes you may find here on the Internet. This dip works wonders when you have unexpected guests and you want to impress or if you crave the cheesy pizza taste.
|INGREDIENTS: (serves 1)|
|4 tbsp of softened cream cheese|
Italian seasoning to taste
4 tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ cup parmesan cheese
1 tsp of thinly sliced green onions
4 tbsp pizza sauce
1 tsp of chopped green peppers
1 tbsp of quartered pepperoni or ground meat
TOPPING: Breadsticks, Garlic bread, Tortilla or even Potato Chips
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and Italian seasoning in a microwave-safe mug.
- Combine mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses; sprinkle half over the cream cheese.
- Top with the pizza sauce, then the remaining cheese mixture, green pepper, onion and peperoni on top.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1~2 minutes or until cheese is almost melted, rotating a half-turn several times. OR Place the mug in a convection over or air fryer for about 2 minutes at 180°C for that crispy top
- Let it cool for a minute so.
- Serve with breadsticks or tortilla chips.
Credit for this amazing dip goes to Taste of Home.
5. FOODIECRUSH’s MICROWAVE EGG CAPRESE BREAKFAST CUPS
If you love to order a British breakfast at a coffee shop, this dish is for you. Enjoy this dish with some English muffins toasted and a cup of Americano. This recipe is great to impress unexpected morning guests or if you want to impress a loved one during a special day.
|INGREDIENTS: (serves 1)|
|2 slices thinly sliced ham|
Shredded mozzarella or provolone or a mix of the two
Basil pesto sauce
Cherry tomatoes cut in half
Freshly ground black pepper
Learn how to make the rest of the dish at FoodieCrush’s original page here.
6. COPY ME THAT’S COFFEE MUG CHICKEN POT PIES
I used to have this dish all the time when Secret Recipe was popular back then in Singapore. This dish spices up regular canned soup and blows it away. If you have an oven or an air fryer large enough to fit a ramekin or a mug, definitely make this recipe.
Credit for this wonderful recipe goes to CopyMeThat.
7. YELLOWBLISSROAD’S APPLE CRISP IN A MUG
This dish is great if you have some leftover fruits at home. Before they get too ripe, cut them up and use it for this recipe.
– 1 apple peeled and sliced thin; Don’t be afraid to substitute this with 1.5 bananas, a pear, ½ cup of canned peaches
– 1/2 tbsp. of melted butter
– 1/4 tsp cinnamon
– 1 tsp brown sugar1 tsp flour
– 2 tbsp of softened butter not melted!
– 1 tbsp flour
– 3 tbsp old fashioned oats
– 1 tbsp brown sugar¼ tsp cinnamon
Credit to Yellow Brick Road for this amazing recipe, check them out to learn the steps.
8. OPRAH’s SHAKSHUKA IN A MUG
Image Credit: Johnny Miller on OPRAH.com (here)
Whenever I’m at a Turkish restaurant, I would always order Shakshuka. Imagine my surprise when I found out that you could make this dish in a mug and in a microwave?! Wow.
Check out OPRAH.com for this recipe.
9. Sally’s Baking Addiction’s NO BRAIN, NO BAKE CHEESECAKE
Image and Recipe Credit: Sally’s Baking Addiction (here)
Amazing dish. No baking needed. Nuff said.
For more details, check out the original link here.
10. LadyandPups’ MICROWAVED SAUSAGE AND CHEESE SPAGHETTI DINNER
Image and Recipe Credit: LadyandPups Pre-Departure Microwave Madness (here)
First of all, I must admit this recipe is the most complex out of the others but it’s one of the fanciest I’ve personally ever tried. After tasting this dish, it honestly doesn’t taste like it’s made in the microwave but surprisingly it is.
|Ingredients: (serves 2)|
– 1 1/2 cup of spaghetti, broken into short segments
– 1 1/2 cup of water
– 1/4 tsp of salt
– 1 cup of half and half
No half and half? Mix 1/2 cup whole milk + 1/2 cup light cream
– 1/8 tsp of nutmeg
– 1/2 generous cup of shredded fontina cheese (Substitutes include Gruyère, provolone, Gouda, or Emmental)
– 1/2 heaping cup of sharp cheddar
– Salt and black pepper to taste
– 1/3 cup of grated Parmigiano cheese, plus more for topping
– 120g of sweet Italian sausage meat or ground meat
– 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
– 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
– 1 tsp of unsalted butter
Amazed by the ingredient list? Check out the full run-down by ladyandpups.
At the end of the day, mugs aren’t only meant for drinks just like how bowls can be used for drinks. Additionally, microwaves also aren’t just used for re-heating; they can now be used to make scrumptious dishes if you get your hand on the right recipe. Thus, what are you waiting for? Try out one of the menus we recommended in our list of the 10 best easy mug recipes and happy cooking!
Check out our other related articles:
- 10 Best Easy One-Pot Recipes for Singaporeans to Try at Home
- 7 Best Online Snack Subscriptions in Singapore
- Best 7 Singapore Websites for Recipe Ideas
Subscribe for newsletter
* You will receive the latest news and updates on Singapore's best trends!